5G – Cloud management & orchestration
WINGS is very active in 5G R&D through the participation in projects of 5G-PPP Phase 1, Phase 2 and Phase 3. In general, 5G-PPP Phase 1 lays the foundation for 5G by defining 5G requirements, scenarios and technologies which will be used by vendors and operators. 5G-PPP Phase 2 focuses on verticals such as automotive, Factories of the Future, utilities etc. 5G-PPP Phase 3 deals with R&D issues related to Evolution-Experiments-Pilots-Trials.
In 5G-PPP Phase 1, WINGS mainly focuses on developing technologies for:
- Distributed and centralized RRM solutions for the realization of intelligent nodes capable of supporting dynamic spectrum assignment in heterogeneous environments
- System-level simulations and hardware proof-of-concepts (PoCs) for proving benefits of new 5G technologies
- Reconfiguration management and control functionality for dynamic hardware/ software functional split and placement
In 5G-PPP Phase 2, WINGS mainly focuses on developing technologies for verticals especially related to megacities, under-served areas and Factories of the Future such as:
- Network slicing for serving eMBB, mMTC and URLLC services through the 5G network infrastructure
- System-level simulations and hardware proof-of-concepts (PoCs) for proving benefits of new 5G technologies especially related to multi-node/multi-link connectivity, carrier aggregation, hybrid automatic repeat request (HARQ), optimised functionality placement and resource allocation in CRAN/DRAN
- Implementation of traffic models to the system-level simulator related to eMBB, mMTC, URLLC
In 5G-PPP Phase 3, WINGS mainly focuses on consolidating its platforms into a suite capable of providing sensors and microcontrollers; connectivity and edge cloud management (5G, MEC, 4G, LoRa/Wi-Fi); data ingestion and management; analytics and predictions; decisions and apps.